Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Day of School

Seamus started kindergarten today!

I can't believe my first born is already in school, already carrying a real-school-kid backpack and wearing back-to-school clothes.



We sewed a salamander patch onto his backpack as per his request. Seamus may very well be the only kid in his whole school with a red eft salamander on his backpack.



I've been mentally preparing for this day for awhile now. All summer we've been receiving correspondences from Seamus's school and sweet, get-to-know-you letters from his teacher. And then yesterday we came home from the grocery store to find a balloon tied to our mailbox. It came with a card from the PTA welcoming Seamus to Kindergarten.

I always imagined I'd be a blubbering embarrassment when the big day came, but I kept my cool and I didn't cry once. Instead, I felt so proud when I watched my boy explore his new classroom. He was excited about a particular jar full of plastic bugs in the art section of the class. I noticed there were two kid-sized trampolines in his room and thought he'd enjoy those when he needed to release some energy. In no time at all he seemed right at home putting together a puzzle at a table and hanging his backpack on the hook with his name.



Before we left he was playing in the class kitchen, pouring pretend salt on a plastic egg and had already forgotten we were there.

It's a half-day today, and I go to pick him up at 12:50. I don't know what I'll do with myself in the meantime with only one kid to look after.

I'm so proud of Seamus and the little gentleman he's become. Now to think up a great afternoon treat for the first day of school.

1 comment:

little macaroon. said...

I was very proud yesterday, mainly because I managed not to cry either! My little one had to wear a grey uniform and negotiate a big old Victorian classroom, something which feels all wrong on so many levels, but she handled it no problem. She's only in til noon until mid-sept, and boy did I enjoy making the first batch of welcome home chocolate cookies for our afternoon teas!
Well done S!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...