Monday, July 30, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate and Cherries

For the past few weeks I've been craving oatmeal cookies something fierce, but I was hesitant to make them simply because the recipe I usually use involves a great deal of butter. Since our family is trying to drastically cut dairy from our diets, I thought maybe I could create a healthier option. Thus, I give you a recipe I created over the weekend: Vegan Oatmeal Cookies (with chocolate chips and dried sour cherries tossed in).



Makes about 48 chewy, soft cookies

Ingredients:

1 Cup Granulated Sugar

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)

2 Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed mixed with 6 Tbsp. Water and left to sit for 10 minutes

1 Cup All-Purpose Flour

1 Tsp. Baking Soda

3 Cups Oats

Chocolate Chips and Dried Sour Cherries to taste (I used a vegan chocolate bar with a high cocoa content, placed it in a ziploc bag and let my 5-year-old smash it into chips with a mallet.)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350. Mix Flax Seed and Water together and allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until mixture reaches a gel stage (read about using ground flax seed as an egg substitute for more info). While Flax mixture sets up, mix oil and sugar together. Add Flax mixture and Vanilla. In a separate bowl sift Flour, Salt and Baking Soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together. Add Oats and once blended, mix in Chocolate Chips and Cherries. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes.

3 comments:

little macaroon. said...

They look delicious(though I must confess to being ever so fond of butter in my baking, and the eggs laid by the brood belonging to my husband's coworker!)

Wendy said...

I'm putting cherries on my grocery list so I can give this try!

Ellen said...

Oh yum! I can see all kinds of variations with this recipe in our future. Although we love chocolate & cherries too! I just did a ton of baking - with 4 kids, it didn't last long. Made some vegan oatmeal bars with fig - love love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...