Sunday, July 8, 2012

Raspberries!



As I type this, our raspberries are ripening, and we've been picking them every evening for three nights now. I started picking a little early--the moment I saw my first red berry--because I was worried all the critters around here would eat them. So far that's not been the case. We seem to be the only critters eating them.

Once we'd picked two quarts worth of berries I made raspberry preserves and put up four jars of the yummiest jam I've ever had. It's the perfect blend of tartness and sweetness. After a little internet research, I found out the type of berries we have growing in our yard are wineberries, an invasive species of raspberry brought over from Asia for breeding hybrid raspberries. They've been here for generations and are flourishing. Our county is bursting at the seams with wineberries. If you take a drive in North Jersey right now, you'll see them all along the roadside.

I'm heading out again after dinner to pick more tonight. I'm hopeful that I'll pick enough to can a few more jars for friends and family and to make a wineberry pie.

3 comments:

little macaroon. said...

Raspberry jam, my absolute favourite in the whole world. You just made me smile (which I needed!). Enjoy your wineberries x

tina said...

I think those must be what we have in our back yard - they're small but packed full of flavor! Ian ate all of ours this year but maybe next year we can try some jam. Where did you get the labels for the jars?

Lydia said...

Tina, the labels came with my Mason jam jars.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...