Thursday, June 21, 2012

How to Make Insect Repellent

Now that we live in one of the most tick infested places in the world, I've been a total neurotic mama about keeping my kiddos tick-free. Seriously, New Jersey has one of the highest rates of Lyme Disease in the country and our county has the highest rate in New Jersey. That coupled with the fact that we had an unseasonably warm winter and many of the ticks and tick eggs didn't die off, means our yard is a haven for ticks (and mosquitoes).



Since there's no way I'm putting DEET on my babies, I scoured the internet looking for all-natural insect repellents. I've made a soy oil based mosquito repellent before that worked wonders, but I wasn't sure it would work for ticks.



As it turns out there's a very simple repellent you can make that will work for both. Ticks and mosquitoes detest the rose geranium scent. With that in mind I looked for recipes using this essential oil.







For a spray that can be used on clothing and skin (but not on the face):



Mix 4 ounces of Witch Hazel

with

25 drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil.







For a repellent that can be rubbed into the skin:



Mix 2 Tbsp. of Sweet Almond Oil

with

25 drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil



Shake well and apply a dime sized amount to skin (a little goes a long way).



For pets, a couple of drops of Rose Geranium Oil on a cloth collar will repel ticks.



Check out this article for more ideas.

5 comments:

Professor Lucenko said...

Thanks, Lydia. We went hiking last weekend and brought back home a whole tick colony. Seriously, it was gross. I've been told that DEET is the only way to go--bleh. I am very glad to read about your home-brewed insect repellant.

house full of jays said...

I'm going to make some bug spray this week too! My dad and sister have to watch for ticks with work - I'll have to let them know about rose geranium oil!

Maurine Roe said...

I know, ticks and mosquitoes are really annoying. I also made my own natural spray treatment for pest control. I use it in spraying my entire house, even the yard and dog house. I want my dog and my family to stay tick-free always. ->Maurine Roe

Maurise Gelman said...

Homemade pest and bug repellents are very ideal, mostly for kids to use. You can even let them bring it to school and use it once in a while. It's better to be cautious about the insects and bugs lurking that can carry lethal diseases.

Mark Rozer said...

Truly Homemade pest and bug repellents are very ideal, mostly for kids to use.East coast local is one of the leading organizations in manufacturing sand fly and Mosquito
Repellent
.They specialize in manufacturing aroma therapy based toxin free repellents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...