Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Yarn-Along

Yarning along today with Ginny from Small Things...
We just got back from Tennessee a couple of days ago, and while there I managed to knit two little bows for Vivvers. I don't much like headbands on babies, but I love bows. And since Vivvers has very little hair, I've resorted to making headbands. The simple ribbon band looks best but it won't stay on her head.
While in Tennessee, we visited Sycamore Shoals State Park, and there I picked up a couple of excellent books on country cooking and customs. I also purchased a lucet, and it's been great fun for both me and T to learn how to use it. The lucet is a tool that's been in use since Viking times to make braids and cords. It was especially popular in the Victorian Age. I'm thinking of using some self-patterning sock yarn with it to make cords for S to play with. I imagine these will become snakes or repelling ropes or both.

4 comments:

Swanski said...

I love her nickname :) The bows are lovely and she looks so cute in them. I could never get them to stay in my daughter's hair when she was a baby either. Good to see you!

Leanne said...

I can't even explain how cute I think those bows are!!!!! Ah! Too cute!!!! Wish I had a baby girl.

Natalie said...

I have never seen that cord-making gadget. Very interesting. My boys have been spool knitting long ropes too...One of them is at least 12 feet long. They won't tell me what they plan to do with them when they are done...I think it's all top secret.

Ellen said...

Cute little bowties. And that lucet sounds intriguing. I love learning about history. I'll have to look that up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...