Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stuff We've Made Lately

Tomato sauce...

Back when I was pregnant and still working, I had a conversation with a co-worker about homemade tomato sauce and how easy it is to make. I'd never made it before, and so while on maternity leave I decided it was about time. I've been making homemade tomato sauce for a few months now, and it really is as easy as everyone says. I like to make mine in the slow-cooker; this way I can smell it simmering all day. Here is a terrific basic sauce recipe. I've taught S to make it as well and we do so every other week. The batch is big enough to use in three completely different meals. It's great in a traditional pasta dish of course, but it's also wonderful in a lentil loaf, as the base for a vegetarian chili and as sauce for homemade pizza.



Molasses Graham crackers...

I used the recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and substituted molasses for honey. This made a rich and tender graham that was also full of iron.



All sorts of cookies...





Homemade pop-sickles...

These are equal parts frozen strawberries and pineapple juice. Here's a whole bunch of other pop-sickle recipes.



Sunbonnet...

T sewed the sunbonnet that I was supposed to make for Vivian. Every time he tries to teach me to sew, I end up cutting out the fabric while he sews the entire project.



Shoelaces with a lucet...




Bread...


We make a lot of bread in this family, and since our bread machine broke a few years ago, we do it all by hand. I've been teaching S the basics with a multi-grain sandwich bread and whole wheat pizza dough.



Homemade hair balm...





When I had long hair I never used product in it, but now that it's short it needs something to give it texture and keep it in place. However, I didn't want to use a store-bought pomade with a list of ingredients a mile long. So, I scoured the internet and my herb books and came up with this recipe:



Hair Balm

1/2 Cup Castor Oil or Hazelnut Oil (Hazaelnut Oil is a sebum-balancing oil; so it's great for your hair and your face.)
1/8 to 1/2 Cup Beeswax depending on how hard you want the balm to be. 1/2 cup will yield a solid block of balm, and you'll have to use your fingernails or a spoon to dig it out.
5 drops Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosemary EO is great for hair)
5 drops Rose Geranium Essential Oil (This is optional. I just added it for fragrance.)



Vegan, gluten-free chocolate truffles with hazelnuts instead of walnuts...

3 comments:

little macaroon. said...

you lovely creative lot! We're bread makers and tomato sauce addicts too - those two things could almost get us through a whole week unscathed! But I think I may need to add some of your truffles to the mix too :-)

Swanski said...

I am so hungry for those truffles :) You have been a busy person and I think once you move to your dream home you will be even more happy and creative!!!

Ellen said...

What a creative woman you are! Sewing, baking (with help), cooking, hair balm???? Wow! Thanks for the vegan truffles recipe - I've been doing a 30-day vegan thing (and I'm a non-vegan) - it's been good but challenging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...