Saturday, May 19, 2012

Moving

I’ve had a little homesteading dream for a few years now, one in which I’m able to stay home with my children until they’re both in school, and one in which our family strives to be as self-sustaining as possible. Over the years T and I have put our energy into learning to make many of the things we purchase, knowing that if I were ever to stay home with the kids we’d need to save money in every way possible.

Now that I’m home and my maternity leave nears an end, that time has come. Earlier this month I resigned from my library job in the City, ironically it was the same day the board of trustees granted my tenure. It could be that I’m completely crazy for leaving a tenured job with a nice salary and full health insurance for the entire family, but it would feel even crazier returning to said job and putting both of my kids into daycare 11 hours a day, five days a week, just so I could spend a huge portion of my day commuting to and from the City. I lived that life for three years, and it took its toll. I was sick of being a weekend mama.

T and I just signed a less on a cute little cabin in the country. It’s close to the Delaware Water Gap and on 20 acres of forest land. We have a waterfall and two ponds in our yard! I can’t tell you how happy this makes S, who's day dreaming of all the salamanders and snakes we’ll catch. We move in a couple weeks, and already we’ve been gathering up our field guides and hiking guides in preparation for all our new life.

I think I’m fully prepared for how poor we’ll be, but that part does worry me quite a bit. I’ll be working from home part-time teaching online composition courses to college students (basic Comp 101 and 102) and paying for insurance out-of-pocket. It will be a tremendous pay cut for us, and it’ll be hard, but I just know it’ll be worth it devoting my time to my sweet kiddos.

8 comments:

Swanski said...

I am so happy for you :) Sounds like your new home is full of adventure! Got photos yet?

Lydia said...

No photos yet, but I'm sure I'll post tons when we move in a couple of weeks.

Wendy said...

Wow! So excited for all of you! I'm sure ll of the sacrifices will be worth it! Looking forward to hearing about all of your new adventures!

house full of jays said...

Lydia! I'm so thrilled for you guys!!! What an incredible adventure. Can't wait to hear more about it. Congratulations. :)

little macaroon. said...

wonderful news, and well done taking the plunge. i left my career and the bright London lights behind a few months before my first was born, exchanged for small town and zero disposable income. I've never looked back. it won't be easy, but the best things never are :-)

Tina said...

What an exciting adventure!!! It really sounds just awesome. I'm excited for you and your family- and I can't wait to see what you guys will be up to!

Patti said...

Lydia, I wish you well in your new adventures. I too am a stay-at-home mom. It is a new adventure. I used to work with your mom. Patti

Philippine Prudential Life said...

Nice article. very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...