Monday, November 14, 2011

Nesting

I'm antsy. And have been for a few days now. My nesting instinct kicked in full force the other day, and even though I'm tired most of the time and could and do fall asleep at the drop of a hat, I've been washing and folding and putting away all of baby's clothes, blankets, diapers and diaper covers and generally getting the house ready for our new arrival.


Making room for the new family member, required a lot of clever space finagling. Since our apartment is only two bedrooms and S's room is too tiny for much more than his bed and toys (his dresser lives in his closet if that tells you anything), T and I have made a baby "area" in our room, which consists of a mini-crib--since the normal size wouldn't comfortably fit in our room--with a mobile and some wall hangings for baby to look at.



In order to fit the mini-crib into our room, we had to move T's dresser into our closet, which meant cleaning out said closet and reorganizing all of our clothes and shoes. There was no room for baby's dresser in our room, so we had to move it into the living room. This move also entailed a furniture shift, requiring us to relocate S's craft shelves that were next to the couch into his room, which meant moving his bed to the other side of his room. But, I'm happy to say, it's all done now...thanks to my wonderful husband, who did it all in two days and managed to refinish a beautiful old dresser we found on the street side waiting for the garbage truck. This became my dresser because I gave up my cherished cherry wood dresser for the baby. It's a child's dresser after all.


The baby's dresser is a special piece of furniture, handmade by my great-grandfather and given to my mother when she was a girl. You can even still see my mom's little girl handwriting in the bottom of the top drawer where she wrote her name in green crayon.


This was my dresser for many years, most of my childhood and all of my adulthood, and I'm so happy to give it to this baby who will hopefully keep it in the family for a few more generations.

There's still quite a few things to do before the baby arrives: sew a mini-crib skirt; finish up some last-minute embroidery to go on the wall above baby's bed; sew a nursing pillow cover or make a nursing pillow from scratch; whip up a few batches of diaper rash ointment; buy a nursing gown for the hospital; pack the hospital bag; purchase a breast pump (my old one has disappeared from the face of the earth); purchase a Christmas tree; purchase another vehicle and finally obtain a New Jersey driver's license; make a couple of test drives to the hospital where I'll be delivering...and I'm sure a few other things I'm not thinking of at the moment.

In the meantime, I'm tackling as much as I can on my days off and enjoying all the daydreaming that goes along with this sweet nesting phase.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks lovely! I just hope you'll have room for the additional soakers, etc., that I'm bringing you at Thanksgiving!

Love,
Mom/Grandie

Swanski said...

I love your dresser!! I used to sign all of my furniture as well :) I think the way you reorganized sounds like you are READY! Now is the baby ready?

Lydia said...

Mom--Don't worry I'll make room.

Lydia said...

Karen--I feel ready though there's still a lot to do. Hopefully, baby will take it easy awhile before making an appearance.

Leanne said...

My littlest baby (3rd boy) is going to be 4 months old this week. We have made room, figured it out and fit everything somehow in this little tiny 200 year old "closet-less" house! Nesting is fun, exhausting and an amazing part of motherhood isn't it? You look lovely and everything else looks wonderful. I've been enjoying reading your blog the past few weeks!

little macaroon. said...

i love the photo of your nappy drawer - i remember folding and refolding in preparation for meeting my little baby. It's such a special time.

The dresser we have in my daughter's room is a street find. We know the lady who was throwing it out - she said she didn't need her childhood dresser with cracked paint and mismatched handles now that she is in her late 60s... I assured her that I needed it more than EVER, and it's now our favourite piece of furniture! Haven't found her name scratched into it, but perhaps I should look more closely!

Ellen said...

You are getting closer! Yeah. Such a beautiful dresser. We have a bureau similar to that (a little taller and darker stain) also made by my husband's grandfather. We love it.

Wendy said...

Everything looks so fresh and bright--great job!

What a special treasure your dresser is!

Lori ann said...

this is so sweet, i love the nesting phase. your wee soakers are very cute and the crib, and i love that mobile too.
and your dresser is so special. it's beautiful, but with your mom's signature, awesome. glad you've got it all sorted, hopefully the last things on your list will be simple to complete.
xox

house full of jays said...

Your dresser is so special! I love the history behind it.

And that fabric is so so great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...