Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yarn-Along

Joining Ginny from Small Things this Wednesday for another Yarn-Along...


On the Needles: Finished the Pimp My Longies pattern, which turned out beautifully (will post photos soon) and cast on the R2D2 Hat for T. R2D2 has been frustrating to say the least because the directions aren't the clearest. If you're experienced in fair isle knitting and reading colorwork charts you probably wouldn't have a problem with this pattern at all, but since this is only the second time I've tried my hand at color stranded kniting it's been a struggle for me. I had to rip it out and start over four times, but I've finally got the hang of it and it's now become a project that I look forward to. I love watching the design come out and this time I'm very aware of my tension as I knit, so I won't have the puckering I had the first time I tried color stranded knitting. You can't really see it in the picture, but the bottom of the hat reads: May the Force be With You. T is very excited and keeps saying he'll be the envy of his co-workers. The maroon edge is a provisional cast-on that I'll eventually take out and put a lining in its place. This should be one really warm hat.

Reading: The newest issue of Poets & Writers, which has a great interview with Joan Didion.

Check out the Linky List on the Small Things Blog to see what others are knitting and reading this week.

7 comments:

little macaroon. said...

You're so brave and clever - I don't think colourwork is something I'll ever have the patience for!

Sarah (Crafts From The Cwtch) said...

That is going to be such a cool hat! :)

I don't think my husband would wear a hat, and I've never done any colourwork, but I'm wondering if I could make just a little square with the motif on it and put it in a mini frame or something?!?!

Swanski said...

You are a whiz at stranded knitting and my daughter would love a star wars themed hat! It looks great!!

house full of jays said...

Oh Lydia! It's wonderful. I'm so impressed by your colour work. I might have to get brave and try it out in the new year - yours is enviable.

Wendy said...

I can see why your husband's coworkers will be jealous--great job on the hat. I have yet to try colorwork. Can't wait to see those longies, too!

Leanne said...

That hat is fantastic! I've been enjoying your blog and seeing your belly pictures. You're in the home stretch now!

Lori ann said...

i love that your husband is excited about his hat, that's the best. and what a beautiful job your doing on it!
i learned a good tip while taking a class at f.i.t. in regards to stranded knitting. it's going to be so helpful in the future. the one reason i don't do fair isle very often is dealing with the many bobbins of wool and the time it takes to untangle.
what i learned was to just cut lengths of wool, maybe 2 ft. long and let them hang. tangling is minimal and SO easy to undo, simply pull the strand out. when you need more, you'll add a new length. in the end it means a little more weaving is involved, but we learned a technique for that too, although i can't explain it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...