Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade Halloween

Halloween just keeps getting better each year. Now that S is old enough to enjoy a costume, help with cookies, trick-or-treat and stay up late watching scary movies, we try to stretch the holiday out as long as possible.

This Halloween S wanted to dress up as Ghostbuster Peter Venkman. Ghostbusters is one of T's favorite movies and S is starting to know it just as well as T.


We decided to make his Halloween costume this year, and I have to say we ended up spending less money and got a much cooler costume than we would have if we just bought a Ghostbusters costume.


First, we ordered a real flight suit from an army/navy surplus store online (this was the most expensive part of the whole costume, but still cost less than anything from Party City or Halloween Express). T made some iron-on transfers for the Ghostbusters patch and the Venkman name tag. But most of T's work on this costume went into the proton pack, which he made mostly out of spare pieces of wood we already had around the house. A nylon rope and a little spray paint and acryllic paint finished it up. He also added a few last minute glow sticks to make S more visible in the dark.


S LOVED his costume! I have to say I married a truly handy man; he never ceases to amaze me.

I made a big batch of sugar cookies and spent nearly a whole day decorating them with a little of S's help. I have such a love/hate relationship with royal icing. It's a once or twice a year thing for me, but after this batch I may only do it every other year.

We gave cookies to S's class, T's co-workers, my midwives and one of our neighbors. We also ate quite a few ourselves.

T and S carved the pumpkin together this year...


After trick-or-treating, we all shared S's candy. It just wouldn't be right to let a 4-year old consume all that junk food; T and I had to save him from some of it. We still have quite a bit left over, which we'll dole out over the next few weeks.


In the midst of all that trick-or-treating, S stopped to pick me a flower. I love that boy so much! He's such a little charmer.


We also stayed up late Halloween night bobbing for apples and watching Halloween movies. This year we saw, Disney's the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Monster House, and a few days ago we watched The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.


It was such a fun Halloween! Can't wait until next year when we'll have two costumes to make.

9 comments:

little macaroon. said...

awww you guys seem to have the balance just spot on. Being British I am completely baffled by the consumerism of Halloween; at home me and my friends always try to make our own kids' costumes and our own fun with homemade food and games. And collecting sweeties is a much more modest/non-existent affair!

So I simply ADORE the ghostbusters outfit, your cute cookies and the apple bobbing. What a lovely day for you all. But, of course, what really caught my eye is your orange beret!!

Swanski said...

What a creative costume! The cookies are to pretty to eat (but I would eat one anyway).

Mary said...

Great costume! I have such a talented son-in-law. Give him a big hug for me, Lyd. Your cookies look scrumptious, as usual, and your day looks like so much fun. You are making great memories S will talk about for years.

Love & miss you,
Mom/Grandie

Lori ann said...

i love your family, this might have been the sweetest halloween post ever. and you made those cookies???!

Lydia said...

I hate the consumerism of Halloween too, but I LOVE dressing up and eating candy and the idea of knocking on your neighbors' doors all night to trick-or-treat. T and I have made a vow to always make our kids costumes, if possible. Homemade food and games are the best too. Although I don't know that I'll ever make cookies like that again. It literally took me all night and most of the night to finish icing them all.

Lydia said...

Ooops! I meant to say "all day and most of the night" in that previous comment.

house full of jays said...

What fun! S's costume is fantastic! So detailed.

I spy your new hat!! Yay! Looks great.

house full of jays said...

P.S. I tried to decorate sugar cookies...I gave up ended left them decorated with a white flooded circle. Halloween marshmallow maybe?

Lydia said...

Oh, Rachel...I feel your pain. The two times I've decorated sugar cookies with royal icing, I've always said NEVER AGAIN. But then a year later I end up doing it again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...