Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Yarn-Along

Yarning along with Ginny from Small Things again this week...


On the Needles: The Eyelet Baby Cardi from last week is finished and blocked and now it waits for the perfect button. I'll post pictures once I find one. I've just started knitting the Toorie hat, a little treat for me before I go full-force into knitting up soakers. So far I've just made the casing for the drawstring, but I can already tell this is going to be a fun pattern. I'm using some handspun alpaca that I purchased at the fiber festival on Sunday.

From the Library: Still reading poetry. See those little bits of paper sticking out of the Charles Simic book? Yep, that's the beginning of a little story I'm working. It may amount to nothing, but it's the first thing I've written in awhile and that makes me happy. Poetry always pulls me out of my ruts.

I've also been flipping through my library's copy of Weldon's Practical Needlework, a facsimile edition of a series of knitting books originally published in the 1880s. There are some exquisite items contained in its pages, including petticoats and Venetian lace, gentleman's drawers and baby bonnets. Unfortunately, needle sizes were different back then and there are no gauges given for any of the patterns. But I'm sure an advanced knitter could figure things out.

Check out Ginny's blog to see what others are knitting and reading this week!

7 comments:

Swanski said...

Very cute hat pattern! I think it will look lovely on you. Yay for being inspired to write :)

Leanne said...

Did you go to Rhinebeck Festival? I couldn't make it this year.(still sad about that) The yarn looks beautiful and it's going to be fabulous for that pattern!

Lori ann said...

your wool looks perfect for the hat, so glad your making something for you. well, until the soakers begin. :)
the magazine looks so interesting. good luck with the writing.
xxx

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

Isn't it fun to browse old books? One of my favorite things to do...

pinkundine said...

Oooh, that looks like it'll be a beautiful hat - and a fab treat for you :)

Good luck with the writing, I love finding inspiration and getting into the flow :)

Jen said...

That's a really cute hat pattern.

I have one of those old knitting books downloaded to my iPod. I get a kick out of the fact that it refers to needles as "pins" and, I'm guessing, that "seaming" means to purl.

Wendy said...

What fun things you are knitting! Glad you're finding some time to write--so hard to find the time to do all the "fun" things sometimes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...