Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yarn Along

Yarning-along with Ginny from Small Things this week...


On the Needles: The Baby Eyelet Cardi, a lovely free pattern from ClickertyClick. I just started knitting this, but so far it's fairly simple and fast. For yarn I'm using one of my old favorites: Malabrigo Silky Merino in Spring Water.

Off the Needles: I finished S's dino hat. The exact hat he wanted didn't exist, so I just made one up based on a couple of patterns. I used the spikes from Kate Oates's Roar Hat pattern and the basic measurements from the Cozy earflap hat pattern. I adjusted the ear flaps so they'd be longer and rest under the chin when tied (have I mentioned our mean Jersey winters), and I also added a border of thick garter stitch in a contrasting color.


S LOVES it, probably more than he loves his Diplodocus sweater, and this makes a mama so happy.

From the Library: Still working on Faulkner's Light in August, which I left in my office over the long Jewish holiday (the college where I work always closes for the Jewish holidays; so I ended up with a four day weekend). And I also picked up a book of poetry: Charles Simic's The Voice at 3:00 A.M. I love reading poetry when I'm in a rut with my writing. Even though I'm terrible at writing poetry, I find that reading it really helps my fiction, and since I've had a long block I need all the help I can get right now.

9 comments:

Swanski said...

You have got to be the best mom EVER! The hat is adorable :)

Lydia said...

Awww...thanks Karen! We'll see how it goes with two. Eeeek!

Lori ann said...

oh so sweet, that baby cardigan is so beautiful in that color, and the hat for little s is fantastic. you did a great job, it turned out perfect i think, love love how happy it made him. well done mama.
i love reading poetry too, and i can't write it at all.

little macaroon. said...

He looks super in that hat - love it! You girls have something on me, I can't write poetry OR read it! Maybe I've yet to meet the right poet :0P

Ellen said...

What a great hat pattern! I think,unfortunately, my boys are a bit too old for this, but I know another little boy who would love this hat. And the color of that yarn in the top photo is beautiful.

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com said...

that hat is fantastic! the cardi will be too!

:)
jen

Jen said...

I love his Dino hat! Great job on it.

Keri said...

I can not fully express how much I love the hat. That's sooooo cute. I can picture my little niece is a pink and green version.

house full of jays said...

That hat is perfectly awesome! And the malabrigo looks so soft and silky. Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...