Thursday, September 8, 2011

Week 25

Week 25 was great! This week I met with the Midwives at the Childbirth and Women's Wellness Cetner. I loved this practice right away mainly because it's very family friendly, unlike my OBGYN. There were lots of children in the waiting room and a huge toy box full of toys for them all, as well as a shelf of children's books and a big bowl of lollipops. S, of course, loves this place and can't wait to go back. The midwives met with both me and T and allowed S to take a couple of toys back to their office (which was a brilliant idea as it kept him totally occupied the whole time we talked). They asked me about my birth with S and asked what I wanted for this birth, explained their birthing philosophy and one of them told me her birth story. I was impressed by several things: First, a bunch of the midwives graduated from Columbia University and most of them have over 30 years of experience delivering babies; second, while I was in the waiting room there was a pregnant woman sitting next to me and the director of the center came up to her and said she couldn't believe she was seeing the little baby girl she'd delivered all those years ago. Turns out many of the women now having babies with these midwives were delivered by the same midwives themselves. Third, their director is good friends with Ina May Gaskin and is going to visit her on the Farm soon. And last, their director is a knitter. She showed me the hat she was working on and said that she got a lot of knitting done waiting for babies to be born.


Most important, however, I agreed with their philosophy completely. When the time comes for this baby to be born, I'll call the midwives and they'll meet me at the hospital they're affiliated with and stay with me throughout the entire birth (unlike a doctor who only shows up the last five minutes of everything). I'll be allowed to wear my own nightgown, eat and drink as I please, walk around, take a shower and get in whatever position necessary to make me feel comfortable during labor. Also, if an emergency arrises the midwives are affiliated with a doctor who will take over if necessary, in which case the midwives will stay by my side until the baby is born. With this kind of support (and the fact that I no longer have to worry about arguing with hospital staff to be able to birth the way I want) I think I can do this whole natural birth thing. In fact, I'm getting really excited about giving birth. And I'm so glad I got to experience most of the pains of labor with Seamus, even if it was because my epidural didn't work, because now I have a taste of what I'll be in for when this baby comes along. So, I'm happy to say I'll be sticking with these midwives for the rest of my pregnancy.

The only downside about the midwives is their office is not nearly as convenient for me to get to as my OBGYN in Hoboken. There is no train that goes from my town to Clifton, NJ. And with only one car between the two of us, I have to rely on T to take me to all of my midwife appointments or I have to borrow the car while he sits at home, which means in either case he'll be late to work on numerous occasions. But we both agree it's a small price to pay. Thankfully, he has a very understanding boss who lets him make up his time.


The only yucky thing about this week were the varicose veins I mentioned last week, which are getting worse the longer I go without compression stockings. I just haven't broken down and purchase them yet. They're quite pricey--especially since I have to by a special maternity size, and I just haven't wrapped my head around paying $57 for one pair of tights. But I will because these things are painful and I don't want them to get worse, or God forbid, develop clots. Yikes!

T took these pictures of me at our favorite usual park. I'm so happy fall is on its way, but I'll miss all these long weekends playing in the park with my guys. Once winter gets here we'll all be cooped up in the house again.

5 comments:

Lori ann said...

thats really lovely, peace of mind is everything for you right now i'm sure. im so glad you have such a dear for a husband.
you look beautiful, happy 25 weeks!!

Swanski said...

Sounds like you found a great place! You still look great to me and so sorry about your veins....I never experienced that.

Lydia said...

Thanks Lori Ann and Karen! I'm much more relaxed now. Peace of mind truly is everything, but varicose veins will always suck.

Charis's Mum said...

Your experience is one of the MANY reasons I want to have a midwife next time. Hope your birth plan goes according to plan!! :-D

Lydia said...

@Charis's Mum--thanks! I hope it goes according to plan too. And good luck to you as well. I hope you have a midwife and a wonderful birth experience with your next baby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...