Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wednesday Yarn-Along

Joining Ginny at Small Things today for another Yarn-Along...


On the Needles: The Diplodocus Sweater! Ok, so colorwork isn't so bad after all. Actually, I really like it and have been looking for any excuse I can to work on this sweater. I've finished the short rows and the diplodocus chart, and now I'm moving onto the stripes at the bottom. It's a great pattern and I'm having great fun making it, but this sweater is not without its problems. If you look closely, actually you don't have to look too close to see it, you can tell my tension is too tight on the chart part. I was so nervous about leaving gaps or holes between color changes that I must have held my yarn too tight, and now all the dinosaurs are puckered. I freaked out when I first noticed this and worried that I'd have to rip it all out, but from what I've read a good blocking will probably fix it. Here's to hoping. I'd hate to make this sweater twice when there's so much more winter knitting I need to get done for both of my guys, and lots of baby knitting as well.

Off the Bookshelf: I've been consulting The Essential Guide for Color Knitting Techniques for lots of advice the past few days, and reading more from Spiritual Midwifery. Still working on Simplicity Parenting too, but I'm almost done.

On a different note but still related, I've been trying to talk T into a family road trip to the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck in October. I know this is one of the better sheep and wool festivals in the country, and it's only 2 hours from us. Anyone ever been to this one before?

11 comments:

little macaroon. said...

thanks so much for your lovely comment on my yarn along page. I had no idea that blogging could be supportive and therapeutic, I shoulda got into this game long ago! But really, thanks. x

Swanski said...

The sweater is looking fabulous!! I like the colors too. I have yet to go to Rhinebeck. Maybe next year. I know it is very very crowded by the afternoon (so my friend says). We are going to the PA endless mountain fiber festival next week. It is very small and only 1 hour away from us!!

Lori ann said...

your sweater is adorable!! love the little pattern and i'm so glad your finding colorwork fun.

spiritual midwifery was my bible for years, it lives with my daughter now since she 'borrowed' it, she said it gives her good memories, it was always with me.

i would give anything to go to rhinebeck, when i was in my knitting class at FIT last may everyone was making plans to go. they said its a must see. i will be going to vogue knitting live in l.a. this month though!

oh, you look gorgeous in your previous post!

Jen said...

OHHHH YES! I've been to Rhinebeck a few times now.

I think you're whole family will have boatloads of fun.

And maybe I'll see you there. I'll be wearing a glittery bluish-purple hat with my Ravelry pin. You won't be able to miss me. ;-)

Lydia said...

Lori Ann--I had no idea you went to FIT...that's where I work and where my husband went for his Toy Design degree. Small world.

Lydia said...

Jen--I'll be looking for you and your glittery hat at Rhinebeck.

Lydia said...

Karen, I thought about going to that very same festival in PA but we have hiking plans that weekend. Incidentally that's also the same weekend as the Garden State Sheep and Wool festival which is a really nice one. I think I prefer the small local festivals to the giant ones.

Lori ann said...

haha! i took the knitting instructor course with arnetta kenny! it was so much fun! it was only a three day class, but worth every bit. maybe next time i'm in the city i could come and say hi!

Lydia said...

Lori, FIT has some really great knitting classes. We have a machine knitting class I've been wanting to take but can never find the time. Next time you're in stop by...I'd love to see you in person.

house full of jays said...

Wow wee! You did such a great on that sweater - I wouldn't worry about the puckering, I agree the blocking should sort that out. You totally conquered those colour changes. Very inspiring!

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com said...

the sweater is so cute! i hope the blocking fixes it right up!

:)
jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...