Friday, September 30, 2011

Finished Object: Diplodocus Sweater

Hooray! The Diplodocus Sweater is finished blocking, and most of the puckers and wrinkles from my too tight tension in the color chart are smoothed out. S and I are very pleased.


I made this up in a size 6, one size larger than S's current sweater size. This way there may still be a chance that he'll fit into it next fall. I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in worsted weight and US size 4 and 5 circular and double-points.


This was my first time knitting stranded color work, and I learned a lot from this project. First and mainly, color knitting is fun and nothing to be afraid of. I'd shied away from it for years thinking it was too complicated, but it's insanely simple and watching the pattern emerge as you knit is incredibly gratifying and addictive. I can't wait to knit some fair isle hats, mittens and sweaters now.


But the most important lesson I learned was to be more relaxed and a little loose in my tension when working color charts, or you'll end up with lots of puckering and pulling and your pattern will look warped. Then I learned that most of these problems can be fixed with a good, hard, aggressive blocking.


This sweater was so much fun, but the best part was seeing the excitement on S's face when he looked at himself in the mirror in his new sweater.

9 comments:

Leanne said...

It's so fun to see that smile after you knit something for them! My older boys don't think it's cool anymore for me to knit for them. Thankfully the baby doesn't have an opinion! I found you through Ginny's blog and I'm enjoying reading your stories. And welcome to NJ.

Lydia said...

Thanks Leanne! You're so right...I should savor these moments while I can. When he's older hand knit dinosaur sweaters won't be that exciting.

little macaroon. said...

Wow Lydia, it's amazing!!! And this on the day that my little munchkin took her beloved dinosaur (Sarah, who's herbivorous doncha know!) into preschool for "show and tell"!

Well done you, and you've ALMOST convinced me to try pattern knitting... but I'm still chicken!

xx

Mary said...

Looks great & S looks great in it! I told you color work wasn't hard! (Sorry, the mom in me takes over every now and then.)

Love you!
Mom/Grandie

house full of jays said...

It's absolutely fantastic! And the joy on his face is contagious!

Swanski said...

You did a fantastic job! your son looks beyond happy and the sweater fits him perfectly :)

Lydia said...

Thanks ladies! I thought I'd ruined it for sure. Lots of thanks to the blocking gods.

Lori ann said...

oh lydia this is stunning, you did a fantastic job, you can see the love knit in every stitch. and the look on your son's face is priceless.
i love that you learned colorwork is not the scary thing afterall.

Lydia said...

Thanks Lori Ann! Your encouragement along the way really helped.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...