Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday Yarn-Along

Joining Ginny from Small Things this week for another yarn-along...


On the Needles: With all this knitting for baby I nearly forgot that it was getting to be about time to start knitting a little someone's annual fall sweater. In falls past I just picked out a pattern I thought would look nice on Mr. S, but this year S is old enough to pick something out himself. So when he told me he wanted a dinosaur sweater, I immediately began searching Ravelry and found this sweet Diplodocus Sweater (which also has a KAL going on right now). S loved the pattern and so now I'm knitting away on it and getting closer and closer to the color-stranded knitting part, which has me a little nervous since I've never done color-stranded knitting. It looks easy, but if I'm suddenly switching to a different patttern you'll know why.


I'm using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in these fallish colors. I hope it turns out, and I hope S likes it!

Off the Bookshelf: The wonderful thing about these yarn-alongs (and read-alongs) is that I get such wonderful book and knitting pattern recommendations. I guess that's one of the main points. And so I ordered Simplicity Parenting since so many in this group are reading it. I absolutely love it so far, and since our family is already doing so much of what the author suggests I feel pretty good.

However, there remains one deep, dark secret that our family has needed to wrangled with for some time now, and that is the overwhelming amount of toys in our household. This is harder than you'd think since husband is a toy designer by trade and an avid toy collector. Thankfully most of his toys are in storage, otherwise our house would be nothing but a shrine to Star Wars, Star Trek and He-Man, with lots and lots of comic book figures interspersed.

We definitely have the problem of aunts, unlces, grandparents (and ourselves) buying toys for our kid, but we also have the unique problem of having easy and cheap access to all manner of toys. One of the perks of being in the toy industry is free or deeply discounted toys. When T worked for Hasbro a couple of summers ago he came home with bags of toys all the time that he got for at least 50% off in the Hasbro employee toy store. So, S shares his father's passion for Star Wars and toys in general and our home is overrun with action figures and light sabres (we have three of the real sounding, real looking light sabres and multiple other plastic push-button light sabres--I just asked why we needed so many and received a very logical, detailed response from T that I won't go into here). Luckily, T has thrown toys out before and is willing to go through and help me get rid of a lot of stuff that doesn't get played with. When it comes to throwing things out he's more ruthless than I am.

So this is the long, rambling way to say that Simplicity Parenting hit the nail on the head when it comes to our toy problem and opened up a whole dialogue that desperately needed to take place between T and I. Before this new babe comes along 3/4 of the toys in our household will make a slow disappearance to either the garbage can or the Salvation Army. And if S asks what happened I'll blame it on the Dark Side.

8 comments:

Swanski said...

The sweater pattern is really nifty and I love the three colors you picked out. I hope it knits up quickly!!

Nin-Carol said...

I have to chuckle about your dark side comment!

It's fun - usually- when they can start to be involved in picking out patterns and yarn. I'm sure you'll learn what you need to for the dinosaurs and he'll love it.

Stopping in from Yarn along. My link is http://blog.mymummyknits.com/yarn-along-32/

Ellen said...

The sweater pattern looks great. I've never attempted color work with shapes. Seems a bit 'scary'.

Knitters Notebook said...

Beautiful colors....can't wait to see it after it is finished..

~~Renee

Lydia said...

I love this pattern so far! We'll see what happens when I get to the color work with shapes. At least the yarn was cheap if I mess it up.

Kristen said...

I just love the colors your chose for your sons sweaters. Greens and browns are my absolute favorites! I hear you about the toys. We are constantly purging things around here because I'm not into clutter at all, especially now since we have a new baby coming. Nesting comes on stronger with each one!

Lori ann said...

i can imagine how simplifying would be a bit difficult, with your boys and all their toys! good luck with it!

don't worry, colorwork is not complicated. it's a lot of fun to see the pattern develop. you will do great!

house full of jays said...

Ah! That sweater is awesome...and scary but I'm sure you can tackle that colour work - and then let me know how it went!
Your toy problem sounds a lot like my book problem - I worked very hard and only managed to weed out about 20...Wishing you better luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...