Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yarn Along

Another fine Wednesday Yarn-Along with Ginny from Small Things...

On the Needles (still): I'm about half-way done with the Pine Forest Baby Blanket. I'm going to have to start knitting at home more in addition to the train just so I can finish this thing. I have a mountain of wool soakers waiting to be knit up for my own babe (not to mention winter sweaters for both S and the new babe and a new hat for S), and time's a-wastin'.


Aren't y'all getting sick of seeing this same blanket every week? That's why this week I've included another little project I'm working on...

On a hoop and a different needle I've started a little embroidered owl for the baby's area using one of the many Aunt Martha's embroidery transfers I just purchased. I say area because for a few months the babe will reside with me and T in our room until we make our move to the NJ countryside (hopefully) next spring. I'd like to make a few wall hangings to go near the babe's crib so he/she has something interesting to look at. We're going with a camping/woodland critter theme for this baby. More on that later in the week.

From the Bookshelf: I'm thoroughly enjoying the latest issue of Poets & Writers (thank you Mom and Dad for the gift subscription!). I've been going through some kind of block lately after writing only about 80 pages of a novel and haven't written any short shorts or tried to publish anything in awhile now. My last published story was back in April. This makes me kind of sad because for awhile there I was publishing several stories a month. But I have myself and my own distractions to blame. This issue of P&W is very motivating though...maybe it'll be the push I need.

We're plowing through the birthing books at our house. Just started Ina May Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery and Dr. Bradley's Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. T is really digging some Dr. Bradley, and I really need to take to those books with the same relish as Ina May's books. I'm just in-love with Ina May Gaskin right now and not ready to finish her up and move on to Bradley yet.

6 comments:

Plain and Joyful Living said...

The baby blanket pattern is beautiful and I really like the embroidery work too.

Jen @ Wife, "Mom", Knitter said...

It's a beautiful blanket, but I know exactly what you mean.

When my friend was pregnant, I designed a blanket for her new little one and specifically made it to be carseat/stroller size.

Lydia said...

Now that is a great idea, Jen! Why didn't I think of that.

house full of jays said...

I'm not tired of that blanket - it just make me wish I had time to knit one before babe arrives. The embroidery is so sweet - I love the owl and your "baby area" theme.
I haven't read Spiritual Midwifery. Maybe I should have a look for it.

Lydia said...

Thanks, Rachel!

Spiritual Midwifery is great so far, much longer than her Guide to Childbirth (over 400 pages) and full of old hippy photos from the early days of the Farm.

Swanski said...

I am loving each post about the blanket because it is beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...