Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Yarn-Along

Yarning along with Ginny from Small Things again this week...

On the Needles: Making slow progress on the Pine Forest Baby Blanket. My parents were in for the long holiday weekend, and I had such a great time with them my knitting fell by the wayside. I'm itching to finish this pattern though because I have some beautiful wool just waiting to be knit into baby sweaters and soakers.*


Off the Bookshelf: Almost finished with Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. This is the most informative and fascinating book on natural childbirth I've read, and I'm at the point where I'm making lots of notes in the margins. Can you see the little pin I'm using as a bookmark in the picture? Husband is finishing up Husband-Coached childbirth and really enjoying it. He keeps quoting sections of it and explaining Bradley's theories to me. That's next on my list. I also ordered Ina May Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. Since our schedules make going to natural childbirth classes difficult, all these books will have to do.

Mr. S had fun gathering together all the books we've been reading to him this past week. Over the weekend Grandpa read The Lorax to him, one of our family's favorite Dr. Seuss books, and this past week has also found me reading Beatrix Potter's Tom Kitten stories, mainly Samuel Whiskers. We also finished up Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Cornerthis week. Mr. S is really getting into books without pictures. He leans back on his bed and his eyes stare off into the ceiling somewhere while I read to him. He's completely engrossed. I've been thinking of starting the Little House books with him, but I'm not sure if he's old enough just yet.

Still looking for a good book of fiction and am really on a Barbara Kingsolver kick, but maybe I'll start something new.

*On a separate knitting-related note...to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary, T and I went with the traditional gifts of seven years (we do this every year). This year the gifts had to be copper and wool. Lucky me!


T bought me some Malabrigo Silky Merino (in Acorn and Ankara Green) and some handspun, handpainted wool from Hilltop Handspun.


My ravelry faves list is quickly filling up with baby sweater patterns for the Malgabrigo and soaker patterns for the Hilltop Handspun. I can't wait to start knitting more wee things.

8 comments:

Jen @ Wife, "Mom", Knitter said...

I got wool for my seventh anniversary, too!

Lydia said...

I wish every year was a wool year.

Anna said...

yes, my Ravelry faves list is verry long. I could only imagine what itd look like if I were expecting. Congrats on your 7th anniversary. I must tell you that it only gets more beautiful as the years add up.

Swanski said...

I love your anniversary present(s). It is perfect! Happy anniversary!

Carol said...

Your pine forest baby blanket is beautiful. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a great source of information.

On my blog I have written posts about healthy childbirth practices. I also have links that can be accessed. (The sidebar on my site has a link to the links I recommend. MothersAdvocate.org has great information along with short videos.

It is so good that you and your husband are taking time to educate yourselves on childbirth.

Blessings

Lydia said...

Jen--Yay for wool!

Thanks, Anna and Swanski for the anniversary wishes!

Oh, Carol...thanks so much for the info! I'm going to check it out right now.

house full of jays said...

I might go back and do seven again for the wool...We are approaching our ninth - pottery is good, too, I guess.
The blanket looks great - I have to find you on Ravelry.

Lydia said...

Pottery would be nice too. My husband's bachelors degree is in sculpture; so we have some beautfiul things.

I'm squidlyd on ravelry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...