Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pregnancy: Week 18

Oh boy, week 18 was not so good for me. I hate to complain two weeks in a row, but this one was a doozy! And I have no one to blame but myself.


Remember that UTI I had last week? I tried to treat it myself by flushing my system out with cranberry juice and water. Unsweetened, organic cranberry juice...which is the devil. It's terribly strong and hard to drink without mixing it with something. I'd successfully gotten rid of a UTI last Thanksgiving just by drinking tons of cranberry juice (and that UTI had much worse symptoms than this one). This infection seemed slight and not too bothersome. So, I didn't fill the prescription for antibiotics that the doctor gave me. Big mistake! But let me explain...first of all, I hate taking medecine. Normally I don't even take Tylenol, and I especially did not want to take anything while pregnant, and certainly not an antibiotic, which is not good for the baby.

But the cranberry juice did nothing this time. My infection got worse and worse. Remember that pulled muscle/back ache I mentioned last week? That was no pulled muscle. Starting Thursday the pain in my back increased tremendously. I had to leave work early that day, and by Friday night I could no longer stand up or walk without excruciating pain. I ended up with a kidney infection. I must have had one brewing all along because I had back pain for over a week. Friday night it finally dawned on me. Duh, I have a kidney infection, and the UTI probably stemmed from that all along.

I sent T to the pharmacy to pick up the antibiotics. I didn't want to mess around with a kidney infection, and I knew if I called my doctor they'd send me to the hospital for much stronger IV antibiotics because kidney infections in pregnancy can cause preterm labor. Fortunately I didn't have a fever or nausea; so T and I decided to try the antibiotic overnight and if the pain was still there by morning we'd go to the hospital.

Luckily, the pain was 80% gone by morning and I could at least walk around. I still spent most of the day on the couch however, playing with S from a suppine position and watching lots of Mad Men during S's naptime and lots of Game of Thrones at night with T. By the way, I'm totally addicted to Game of Thrones right now. It's one of the best television shows I've ever seen (and I don't even like fantasy).

T took the above picture at the park on Sunday. I was still not up to par that day, and you can probably see it in my face, but I was almost back to normal. Tomorrow is my last day on antibiotics and I'm hoping the infection doesn't come back.

On a positive note, this babe is moving constantly. He/she seems to be always kicking up a storm, especially on my train rides and whenever I eat. I still can't feel movement from the outside with my hand, so I can't share the experience with T or S. Right now, it's just between me and baby.

5 comments:

house full of jays said...

Oh, Lydia, I'm sorry to hear how bad your week was! What an ordeal! I'm the same with medication and understand you not wanting to take anything...I'm glad you had the antibiotics when you needed them, though. Yikes! Hope this weekend is much better!

Lydia said...

Thanks for the sweet words, Rachel. So far, I'm feeling almost completely back to normal.

Swanski said...

I hope you continue to feel better! This week coming up will be much improved Hopefully :)

Rickety Rosie said...

Usually, it's the other way around - untreated UTI's and bladder infections lead to kidney infections. I know from experience they are not to be treated lightly. When I had one, my comment to Alan concerning people having these infections before antibiotics and dealing with them, he said, "Yeah, and sometimes they dealt with them by dying." Sobering

Lydia said...

Rosie...I've had UTIs before and gotten rid of them with cranberry juice, but I don't think I'll chance it again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...