Saturday, July 30, 2011

Baking: Laura's Golden Wheat Sheaf Bread

On Thursday S was sick and I stayed home from work. I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and, for once, a relatively clean house that didn't require too much of my time. After a few loads of laundry and the finishing touches of a baby blanket, I decided to bake something.

I'd been considering baking the Wheat Sheaf Bread from the Little House on the Prairie Crafts book, but wanted to do it with S. However, as it turned out S didn't want to do much of anything but rest and, honestly when he was feeling better he would rather be fighting dinosaurs or playing Star Wars. He wasn't interesting in rolling or shaping dough or baking bread in the least. So while he slept...

...I made Laura's Golden Wheat Sheaf Bread. Oh man, was it yummy!

I'm not the best sculptor and the loaf came out looking more like a squid, or as one friend on facebook said--Freddy Krueger's hand, but it was still so much fun making this bread, which had two rise stages.


Our family devoured it with a big pot of homemade veggie soup!

For more wheat sheaf bread recipes and some amazing ideas for creating more elaborate wheat sheaf breads check out these links:

*It's Those Little Things has a much simpler recipe than the one I used, with no milk or sugar

*For a rich loaf with a touch of molasses Bread Experience has a great recipe.

*Cornish Garden offers step-by-step instructions for a gorgeous looking loaf.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...