Thursday, March 31, 2011

How to Make Yogurt

Unfortunately for my family, my cheese-making obsession didn't end with Labneh and Paneer. And yet again on Sunday my guys had to suffer through the smell of ripening milk (though this time it was only slight).

Sunday I made yogurt!

Of the three cheeses I've made so far, yogurt was the most difficult...that is to say not difficult at all as far as cheese-making goes, but harder than the other two simple cheeses I made a few weeks ago. Making yogurt requires you keep a constant temperature of 100 degrees for at least 6 hours, and since I don't have a fancy yogurt maker this is where the hard part came in. I had to get creative. Here's how I did it:

What you'll need:

Quart of milk (I used organic 2% milk):
1/2 cup of yogurt preferably at room temperature (I used Stonyfield Organic Lowfat Yogurt)
Instant-read thermometer (T got me a super nice Taylor digital thermometer; it came as a surprise in the mail one day)
Heated bowl and/or several blankets, a heating pad or a really warm room


Instructions:

Bring one quart of milk just to boiling.

Turn the burner off as soon as the milk boils and let it cool down to 110 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit.


Whisk 1/2 cup of yogurt into the milk.

Poor mixture into a heated glass bowl (I just warmed a Pampered Chef quart-sized glass measuring cup in the microwave) and cover with a lid, alumnium foil or plastic wrap.

Wrap bowl in a blanket or two and place in a warm area, in my case that was right next to the radiator in Mr. S's room. I also placed a microwavable heating pad under the bowl and as an added measure a ladybug PillowPet on top.

Let sit for at lest 6 hours, and then carefully check to see if you have yogurt. If not, let rest for another 6 hours. The longer you let the mixture rest at 100 degrees the thicker and tangier it becomes.


I let my yogurt go for about 7 hours, and ended up with a softer yogurt than I normally like. However, it is the tastiest yogurt ever! Super tangy (like I like it) and creamy. I mixed in some blueberries and maple syrup and it tasted so yummy on top of my oatmeal this morning.

Here's a link list of great yogurt tutorials if you're interested in trying your hand:

* Make Your Own Yogurt
* Yogurt Making Illustrated
* Sustainable Attainable's Yogurt Tutorial

3 comments:

house full of jays said...

This is the perfect time for me to see this post! I've been saying I'm going to make yogurt for ages now but I keep wimping out. I have a yogurt maker that a friend found for $4 at a thrift store but I'm sort of afraid to trust it will work. Great to hear how you tackled it!

Lydia said...

I have a friend who found a yogurt maker in a thrift store years ago, and he's been using it ever since. It'd be fun to try. But it's also coming up with creative ways to keep it warm. Good luck! You will love it.

Moses said...

It is amazing on how much fun making yogurt can be, how healthy it is and how much money you can save. It is always an added benefit knowing what is going to your food for yourself and your children.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...