Saturday, July 11, 2009

Weekend

As much as I complain about this part New Jersey and its lack of nature, I have to say there are a lot of nice things about living in Bayonne. Namely that we have a vibrant town center that I can walk to in a couple of blocks. For those of you living in Tennessee, this would be like a really enormous downtown Elizabethton, with one main street that stretches for about fifty blocks, full of local businesses like bakeries, barber shops and salons, restaurants, hardware stores, clothing stores, specialty shops (like train model and doll house shops) with a few chain stores interspersed (Radio Shack, Payless, Mandee, Dunkin’ Donuts and Baskin Robbins). And everybody knows everybody here. I can’t walk down Broadway without saying hi to at least three people, usually more. We don’t always know each other’s names but we see each other enough to stop and chat each day.

And so after a big day at the Central Park Zoo yesterday, I am quite content to stay here in quiet little Bayonne, only venturing out to the Cherry Market to buy some bananas and maybe to Radio Shack to buy a memory card for the new digital camera I bought this morning. (I was going through withdrawal since T took the camera to RI with him.)

We had a lovely time at the Central Park Zoo yesterday, and I was proud of myself for navigating the subway system all by myself. The people of New York are so friendly. It never ceases to amaze me. I must have had about six or seven people offer to help me carry Seamus’s stroller up and down the subway stairs. Thankfully, I don’t need help anymore since I’m pretty used to carrying him up and down my own stairs. But it’s nice to know that people are still looking out for each other.

We had a great time visiting the Sea Lions and Penguins, but when it came time to visit the polar bear, something Seamus had been excited about all week—since he thinks it’s Iorek Byrnison from the Golden Compass, Seamus was terrified and started crying when we approached him. I had to pull him to the side, have a nice talk and offer to carry him over to the polar bear before he would calm down.

No pictures to post since I didn’t have a camera until today, but will post lots of photos this afternoon once I get a memory card.

-L

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Navigated the subways, but what about the streets? Hmmmmm???

Lydia said...

You had to bring that up!

Kitty said...

Elizabethton with better accents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...