Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sick Day

I took a sick day from work today to stay home with Seamus.

He came down with what we thought was Mr. T's little 24-hour virus over the weekend. However, on Sunday he still had a fever and was complaining that his mouth hurt. So I took my first ever sick day at my new job on Monday and took him to the doctor. Turns out Seamus has some awful thing called Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, a virus that usually produces rashes on the hands and feet and blisters in the mouth. There's nothing the doctor can give for it; Mr. S just has to suffer through it. Luckily Seamus only has the blisters in his mouth and a fever that comes and goes. However, the blisters in his mouth are incredibly painful, especially at night and when he eats. (I've been giving him popsickles and cold pasta, applesauce, soft, cool foods.)

On Monday, he seemed all better, no fever, very playful, just had a sore mouth. So I sent him to school Tuesday. He had a great day at school, ate all his lunch and played and was in good spirits until dinner time, when it hurt so bad for him to eat that I had to hold him throughout dinner. And then after he went to bed, the pain really kicked in. Last night was horrible. Seamus woke up screaming about an hour after I'd put him to bed, and he cried, was inconsolable, until about 12:30 last night. I've never seen him cry so hard, his body was shaking from his crying. He told me his mouth was hurting and on top of that he was coughing a lot (hopefully from the blisters--healing and scratching his throat). All that coughing and crying was making his mouth hurt worse. He worked himself into such a frenzy that he threw up. Finally he went to sleep after I gave him some Tylenol for the pain. And then at 3:00 am he was up again with a high fever, more crying and coughing. He ended up sleeping with me last night and when he wasn't sleeping he was crying. It was an awful night. But this morning at 6:30 he woke up happy as a lark, no fever, no complaints. I kept him out of day care anyway because I thought he might still be contagious and because I wanted to take him to the doc once more to be sure he was ok, but my doctor's office is closed today for some reason.

Since he seems fine today, and since these are all normal symptoms with this illness, I've decided not to take him to another doctor and just keep him rested and well-hydrated.

I've been worrying all day about whether or not this illness has run it's course or if I'm in for another painful night tonight. I have only two sick days left until August when I earn 7 more, and I'd hate to use them all up this week. And I have seven more weeks to go of "single" parenthood. Of course, I'm also worried about work and how using my sick leave so quickly reflects on me. Since we're in summer session, we don't have a lot going on, but I don't want anyone to think I'm a problem employee. I keep reminding myself that Seamus's health is far more important than a job, even if this job did take forever to find.

I also keep reminding myself that T will be here this Saturday to visit. I've been handling the loneliness pretty well and have settled into a routine that includes lots of relaxation once I get home and yoga in the mornings before Seamus wakes up. I'm very high-strung and have to be proactive about stress. If we can just get through this week, and Seamus can stay healthy, I think we'll be ok.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hope Seamus feels better soon! I wouldn't worry about how taking sick days reflects on you. If anything, they should say that you are a loving parent who is looking out for her child! We're thinking of you down here in TN!

Derrick, Kimberly and Aiden Morris said...

Awww I hope little Seamus feels better very soon! Hang in there.

Melanie said...

Hey Lyd, it's normal to have upper respiratory symptonms w/hand, foot and mouth. Connor had them. I hope that both of you have recovered from this . . . . Try not to worry about your sick days. You can't help it!

Lydia said...

Thanks Amanda--we're thinking of TN too!

Thanks, Kim...he seems mostly better today.

And thanks, Mel! I've been scouring the internet trying to find out if this coughing is related to hand, foot and mouth. So glad you were able to confirm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...