Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good Grief!

This morning started off with a bang. Literally. And a trip to the emergency room. Before we'd even finished our breakfast, before I'd had all of my coffee, before we'd had a chance to walk Georgia, Seamus tripped over a basket of toys he'd pulled out from his bookcase and fell head-first into his little table. The second I picked him up a bruise had already begun to form and there was a concave spot right beneath it on his forehead.

After I'd calmed him down and gave him a pop-sickle the concave spot began to swell and turn red. Now Mr. S has hit his head numerous times before, but I've never seen an injury that look quite this way and I was concerned that he'd fractured his skull. So we took the Light Rail to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was tended to right away. (Bayonne has a medical center, but it has a bad reputation and my old insurance even sent me a letter saying they'd taken them off of their list of acceptable hospitals.)

The Jersey City Medical Center was great! They have a pediatric waiting room with magnetic sea animal toys and a pediatric ER stocked full of kid movies. The Muppets Treasure Island was playing while we were there.

The doctor who saw Seamus took a look at his injury, which had already decreased significantly by that point, and said that the injury look minor to him and since Seamus was acting normal, had no nausea, nor fever and wasn't lethargic, he was probably fine. He told me I could send him on to day care and I could go on to work. Then he handed me a list of signs associated with head injuries and told me to watch him for the next 24 hours. This was the quickest ER visit I've ever had. We were in and out of there in under two hours, and one of the nurses told us it would have been a quicker visit if they hadn't had a trauma at the same time.

When we arrived at school, his teachers seemed very concerned and they scooped him up and coddled him right away. I left the list of head injury signs with them and told them to call me at the slightest sign of a problem. All Seamus was concerned about was why anyone hadn’t gotten his cereal and set it before him yet. (At school they always give him a light second breakfast first thing in the morning.)

You might think my adventure ended there, but it didn't. I got back on the Light Rail and headed back to Hoboken Terminal and when I arrived at Hoboken Terminal I was so focused on that morning's goings-on that I forgot to take into consideration that the PATH trains might run differently at 10:30 in the morning than they do at 7:30 in the morning. Usually on my morning commute there are three PATH trains waiting at Hoboken: Two going to 33rd Street in NYC and one going to the World Trade Center. They're always on the same track each morning.


So I hopped on what I thought was a 33rd Street train, found a nice seat, put on my headphones and closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes again at the next stop, we were back in New Jersey at Pavonia/Newport. I'd gotten on the train going to Journal Square. So I hopped off at the next stop, found a train going back to Hoboken and once in Hoboken, grabbed the first 33rd Street train I could find.

I was so relieved to be headed in the right direction that I didn't look at my seat before sitting down and ended up sitting in a puddle of water. I guess someone had used that seat for their wet umbrella earlier in the morning. I didn't bother switching seats because as soon as I sat down the fabric of my skirt absorbed all the water and there didn't seem much point in moving.

So I sat there for the rest of the train ride staring at an advertisement for the state of Connecticut that said: Real relaxation is closer than you think.�

Really?

Because at 3:30 this afternoon, Seamus's school called to tell me that he'd fallen off a bean bag and hit his head again...in the exact same spot.

I went home early today.


Seamus appears to be happy and well, but I'm keeping a close eye.

6 comments:

buddydon said...

whut a terrbull horrbull no good verr bad day!! i shore do hope thangs gits better!

Derrick, Kimberly and Aiden Morris said...

Oh Lydia, what an awful day! On the bright side, chances are good today will be better. If you find time, let us know how Seamus is doing this morning.

Amanda said...

Oh goodness - what an awful day! Here's hoping that today is MUCH better...the fact that it's Friday should help :)

Lydia said...

Hello everyone and thanks for the comments. I'm happy to report that Seamus is A-OK and enjoying his Papa being home for the weekend!

Rickety Rosie said...

Good Grief Indeed!!
Sounds as though you stayed cool and handled everything efficiently. Getting on the wrong train just gave you more time for your frazzled nerves to settle.
Glad all turned out well.

Love, Richda

Kitty said...

Honey, I love you so. I just kept saying "Awwww" at every turn. I hope your days following were much better. That poor little fella. Head bops are so much scarier than other falls.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...