Thursday, April 30, 2009

This and That

Today is my last day of unemployment! I’m so thankful to have a job in this economy, and especially to have found such a seemingly great job as this one at FIT. I’m looking forward again to my mornings on the train, listening to my songs and watching New Jersey breeze by out the window, people watching on the PATH train (if anyone thinks printed books are a thing of the past they should hop on a commuter train in the morning—everyone’s reading…some people have Kindles but most have actual books). I’m looking forward to getting to know my new work neighborhood, the new restaurants, the new stores. FIT is really close to Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, the Chelsea Hotel, Mood, lots of great clothing stores and bookstores. And lucky for Mr. S Buy, Buy Baby is right next door. I’m also looking forward to getting to know my new co-workers and my new library. I’ve never seen an academic library as alive and bustling as this one. During my interview walk-through, the place was packed. Students had boards, markers, fabric swatches, stacks of books sprawled all over the tables, the computers were full, there were numerous study groups and the director told me it was a slow day that day. It’ll also be really cool getting to know the collection—500 periodicals (most of which are fashion and design magazines from around the world), fashion look books from every designer imaginable, lots of art history books.

That being said, I’m also quite a bit sad over not getting to spend as much time with Seamus as I’d like. He’ll be in day care from Monday-Thursday (since I have Fridays off—except for tomorrow) from 7:00-5:00. That seems like an awfully long time to be away from him, but at least he’ll have a three-day weekend. While school is in session I have to work Sundays, but as soon as classes end I’ll have three-day weekends too! I’m also quite a bit nervous about Thomas going off to Rhode Island this summer for his internship with Hasbro. He’ll be home on the weekends, taking a train from Providence to Penn Station every Friday night, but it will be hell during the week. I still haven’t figured out how I’m going to drop Seamus off at day care at 7:00 when the center opens and make it to work by 8:00. My commute is just at an hour. Hopefully I’ll be able to catch the Bayonne Flyer every morning. I’ve been trying not to dwell on these worries too much since I knew what I was getting into when we decided to start a family. I knew it’d be awhile before we were financially able for me to stay home or at least work part-time.

In other news, I’ve been reading a new parenting book and trying a new approach to handling toddler behavior. Over the past few weeks, I found myself saying no a lot to Seamus and putting him in timeout more than I wanted. I finally broke down and purchased the classic (and well-researched, peer-reviewed), The Power of Positive Parenting. This book has truly been a lifesaver. The goal is to have as many positive interactions a day and to try to eliminate negative interactions. This builds self-esteem and teaches children appropriate behaviors without anger or force. The author also suggests ignoring inconsequential normal toddler behavior. By saying no to those types of behavior it only strengthens that behavior. Since I’ve started making less of a big deal about Seamus throwing toys, he’s started throwing toys less often. It’s working very well so far and I haven’t used a time out in days.

Seamus has been a little chatterbox lately and speaking more and more in long, complex sentences. Everything is big right now. He eats a big orange in the morning, along with big yogurt and a big egg and drinks from a big cup. Animals are big, people are big (this can be embarrassing, especially when he calls every lady he sees a big lady), the bathtub is big, his bed is big, etc.

He’s also been having a lot of fun at school and cries less when I drop him off. Some days he just says, bye, Mom and runs off to play with his friends. When I pick him up in the afternoon, he’s so excited to tell me all about his day. He loves it when the weather is nice and he gets to play outside on the playground and in the big toy castle.

He’s also started to talk about his dreams. The other night after Seamus had been asleep for about an hour, I heard him calling for me from the bedroom door. When I opened the door to check on him, he was standing right in the door way and I realized that he was still half asleep. His eyes were open but he was in the middle of a dream. He started talking about holding big worm and a man grabbing it out of his hand and taking it away. I called for Mr. T to come witness what was going on and we both sat in the kitchen floor and listened to Seamus tell us all about a dream he had just had (or at least that’s what we think was going on). In the dream a big alligator swam in some big water, a big dolphin swam in some big water and a big lizard swam in some big water. After those few sentences he was fully awake and started talking about the playground slide at school. Then around 3:30 that morning, I woke up to Seamus crying. When I looked in on him, he was still asleep and mumbling something about “the big dinosaurs.”

I hope Seamus will be able to handle the schedule of my new job—I hope I’ll be able to handle the schedule of my new job. There will surely be lots of juggling in the near future. But I’m really looking forward to those long weekends this summer. We plan on spending lots of time at the big pool.

1 comment:

Rickety Rosie said...

How exciting! Another new phase in your life is opening up, and it will be great. All of you will adapt - think of it as preparation for the NEXT phase, whatever that may be.

Good luck! Richda Rose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...