Friday, March 6, 2009

This and That

The U.S. Census Bureau called me last night at 9:30. They had the results of my employment test. I scored a 98. Woo hoo! This means I answered 27 of the 28 questions correctly, which is astounding because most of those questions were math questions. My Dad will be proud. (I was always very happy with my C grades in high school and college math courses.) Anyway, this means I can now be considered for employment with the Census Bureau, helping out with the 2010 Census. On the phone last night, I was told they would look at the highest test scores first and then the need for census takers in my community, and then they would start calling people. I’m hoping to get a phone call in the next week or so. It’s temporary work, might last me through the summer, but I would get to choose my own hours and the pay is quite nice.

Mr. S has a birthday coming up. The big 2! I have a little over a month to plan something, and I was thinking a dinosaur themed party would be a blast (especially since he keeps asking if the Easter Bunny is going to put Ankylosaurs and T-Rexes in his basket). I found a cool birthday cake online, but it takes 8 hours to make. I’m sure with Mr. T’s assistance we could pull off something similar. Mr. S’s birthday falls on a Sunday this year. We’re thinking of having his party at our house on a Saturday and then taking him to the American Museum of Natural History on Sunday, where he can see real dinosaur bones.

So, people are buying my little book, and this makes me happy. Mazie Montgomery wrote up a nice review on her blog. And Meg Pokrass mentioned my book as well. Both of these ladies are amazing writers, and I’m lucky enough to have been in workshops with each of them. Mazie has lots of great chapbooks out. If you buy one, you will have to clear a few hours of your day because you won’t be able to stop reading. Meg has been published everywhere. Really. Here’s one of my favorite Meg Pokrass stories.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Of course people are buying your book. Because we love you and we know you are super talented and we love good literature. I am excited to be an owner!!

Lydia said...

Thanks, Kitty! I'm so glad you bought a copy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...