Wednesday, February 25, 2009

This morning I took two trains into Hoboken to take the U.S. Census Bureau's employment test. The Census Bureau needs field representatives to go door to door collecting info for the big 2010 census. I thought this would be a neat job, being a part of history and all that, getting to know my community a little better. Plus the pay is actually nice and the hours are flexible. It took me a few tries to actually find the testing site, which was in the basement of a public housing complex in a town I'm not all that familiar with. I expected the test site to be packed with all the other people looking for employment, but there was only one other gentleman in there with me. When I sat down he told me he'd taken the test before and failed and that it was difficult. It was, in fact, much harder than the practice test I took online. There were lots of trick questions and multiplying of decimals. There were 28 questions in all, and you only have to get 10 right to be considered for employment. We had 30 minutes to complete the test and I kept getting distracted by the constant flow of water from the pipes right over my head, and the apartment tennants who came out to the parking lot to chat. But I finished with time to spare and went back over all the answers I wasn't sure of. The Census people will call me in two weeks with my test results and should let me know then if there are any field reps needed in my area.

The temp agency I interviewed with doesn't seem to be panning out. No phone calls from them whatsoever. When I call them to check in, they tell me there simply aren't any jobs yet. Oh, how I wish our new president had a magic wand.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh that could be cool! not the dripping water from the pipes, but being a part of history. a second the bit about a magic wand.

Lydia said...

Yep, here's to hoping.

Kitty said...

Good luck. I hope they come to their census and hire you....sorry, lame joke. Love you bunches and I send to you all the happily employed energy I can summon from the cosmos. (cough, cough) Sorry the patchouli that wafted from that comment made me cough. Smile, lovely Gwyns. I miss you.

Lydia said...

Thanks for thinking of us, Kitty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...