Saturday, January 10, 2009

Take the Cannoli

All week I've been waiting to take Mr. S to the bakery near his day care. We have a book called Bear About Town (thank you Ferenbachs) with a lovely bakery scene on the second page, and Seamus loves to point to all the different types of breads and cakes. He always tells me he would buy cookies if he were the bear in the bakery. So I figured it was about time for a field trip. When my parents came for the holidays we tried this field trip, but Mr. S fell asleep on the way there, and refused to wake up for any cookie or cake. So today I waited until the afternoon when he was good and wild and we trudged six blocks in the snow for a gingerbread man.


But when we got there, they were all out of gingerbread men, and Seamus wanted a rum cake. I took him out of his stroller, showed him the winter cookies, carrot cakes, cheesecakes and finally talked him into a cannoli and a chocolate mousse heart (which was just as rich and scrumptious as it sounded).



This was my and Seamus's first cannoli. We had fun sharing it, though Seamus ate most of it.




This is what Bayonne looked like on the way to the bakery:



But about an hour after we came home, the roads and sidewalks had completely disappeared, and my neighbors started shovelling their driveway. I'd say we've got about three inches so far and counting. Just before bedtime, I threw Seamus's snowsuit over his pajamas, and we went for a mama/son walk up and down our block. Seamus kept diving face first into the piles of snow our neighbors had shovelled. Tomorrow should be fun, especially if we get more snow. I'll take lots of pictures.

2 comments:

Rickety Rosie said...

I would love to try a cannoli - they look so scrumptious.

Kitty said...

I will bake that sweet boy a gingerbread man as big as he is! Love you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...