Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The snow that covered the ground Saturday night, was gone Sunday morning, replaced by freezing rain and sidewalks like ice rinks. Also, I woke up sick as a dog, unable to stomach anything other than applesauce and popsicles. So, Mr. S and I stayed inside most of the day, only venturing out to do the laundry and run to the store for eggs. And even though I was sick, we had a pleasant Sunday nonetheless. We made red lentil soup with lemon and cilantro. This was the second time we’ve made this soup and each time I think I could just live on it for weeks. However, this time I couldn’t eat it, could barely stand the smell of it. Seamus, however, had two helpings.



Then the work week started, and now it’s Tuesday and tomorrow will be my last day at the New School. My bosses are taking me out to lunch--a little organic, vegetarian place on 6th Ave and 9th. Try as they may, and boy did they try, my bosses were unable to secure any type of permanent employment for me under this little hiring freeze. I did, however, sign up for the New School’s temp pool, which might bring some income. I’ve also applied to a couple of other positions in the city this week, one with a publishing company in Midtown and one as a Circulation Manager at a University in the city. Looks like most of the adjunct positions I’ve applied for are considering me for Fall 2009 courses and not Spring. I figured this would happen, applying so close to the Spring semester. I honestly never had it in mind to be teaching adjunct courses up here, thought I’d have a stable job by this point. I know I keep saying that I’m going to have to swallow my pride, forget my master’s degree, and take a restaurant or factory or retail job, and it looks like that time is about to come. One of the other moms in Seamus’s day care works for the Tropicana factory in Jersey City. She has decent hours and a very short commute, just ten minutes by Light Rail. I’ve thought about how it must smell heavenly in there, and how it would be nice to have a job that I could leave behind at the end of the day without a second thought.

We had visitors from Johnson City (though now they live in upstate NY) last week. Good friends Aislinn and Scott came with their daughter Tully on Tuesday and left this morning. Their band, the Feral Throes, played a show in Brooklyn, and I got to have the apartment with two toddlers while they played. Their daughter is such a delight. She and Seamus got along famously. After she left Seamus kept searching the apartment for her. It was so lovely seeing familiar faces and catching up. Ace made a delicious spaghetti with sautéed orange peppers, onions, garlic and a tomato sauce with a smidge of cinnamon. It was delicious. We sat around my living room drinking wine and chatting for a good portion of the night on their last night here. It was lovely and I wish for more nights like this. Tully is three and so polite and intelligent. She made my Seamus seem much more like a baby. He always seems so big and grown up to me, until I see him with an older kid.

This week Seamus has started saying little sentences and using more pronouns. His first real official sentence was two weeks ago when he said “Hippo is splashing in the water.” And this morning when I asked him how he got the scratch on his nose he said, “Kiki did it.” I was impressed with his correct use of verb tense. And he’s gone from referring to himself in third person to saying “I.” Usually, he does this without a verb. He’s very fond of saying “I mean, “ as in I’m a mean T-Rex or I’m a mean bear. When we received a package in the mail the other day from Grandie and Grandpa, he thought there would be dinos inside. When I asked him if he would be upset if there were no dinos inside, he looked at me very seriously and said “I angry.”

T is back in school for a little intercession called Winterm. Only the toy design students have to come back to class so early. He’s been told Winterm is the most difficult part of the whole program. The students basically have to re-design, re-draw, re-ink, etc, all the boards they’ve completed the previous semester, and they have three weeks to finish it all. Next month is Toy Fare and all the big toy companies will be there. This will also be the time the toy companies look at the students’ work and decided who’s interning where. We’re hoping for Hasbro, but trying not to hope too much. As much as I love NYC, I don’t see myself living here forever. I require certain things to be happy, like trees and grass and fauna, not that pigeons aren’t fauna, but I miss seeing the occasional deer or towhee. The other day I saw a group of robins on the ledge of one of the buildings in NYC, and it took me aback. Then I realized I hadn’t seen regular old robins in months. That same day the sun set later and it was still light outside at 4:30 and then still at 5:00, and then I saw three ducks in the Hudson. I know Spring is a long way off, but those sights made me happy.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

i hope you find work soon. tropicana sounds interesting. imagine all the material you'll have for short stories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...