Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mama's Got a Brand New Hat

This Christmas I was gifted Boutique Knits (thanks Mom), which I really only wanted for the cloche hat pattern on the cover.



It was a nice surprise when the book turned out to be chalk full of other gorgeous patterns, including another pretty cloche hat and a braided and bulkled belt. I cast on for the cloche hat on the cover a couple of weeks ago, and it just now left my needles (I know, I know...it's just a hat, but I've been busy). The finished result was a bit too big, due to my knitting the band a half inch longer than I should have. But I was too lazy to rip it out and start over, so I had T toss it in with today's laundry to felt it and voila...




a perfect fit.

Right now Mr. S is in the middle of what's going on a four hour nap. He had a horrible night's sleep last night, with our Russian neighbors stomping around above his room in what sounded like combat boots. Also, he's been a little sick with a cold. I must have gone into his room to rock him and give him water a dozen times last night. The poor guy was miserable. Finally, one of my old tricks worked. When he absolutely won't sleep I tell him about how the whole state of New Jersey is sleeping, every pigeon, every squirrell, every seagull, every Mama, Papa, boy and girl, even every dog and cat. Then Seamus will ask me if alligators are sleeping, if grizzly bears are sleeping, if Diego and Dora are sleeping. And last night he wanted to know if all the characters in The Fox and the Hound (his new favorite) were sleeping. He said, Copper sleeping? Tod sleeping? Big Mommy sleeping? (Her name is really Big Mama) Chief sleeping? Amos sleeping? Boomer sleeping? He'll go through the catalog of all the cartoon characters and all the animals he knows until finally, he will always say, Seamus sleeping. And then I can lay him down in his bed and he'll roll right over and go to sleep. That is what happened at 4:45 this morning.

Whenever he wakes up were off to the bakery for our weekend cannoli! This time Papa's home, done with Winterm, and happy to be home at least until tomorrow.

11 comments:

Rickety Rosie said...

No - No - Not another cannoli!

Haven't you heard that we have now declared torture illegal!

MUST HAVE CANNOLI!!!

P.S. - Love the hat on the stylish model.

Lydia said...

RR- If I could find a way to have Paulanto's cannolis sent to you without staleness being a factor, I would. You're just going to have to come up here.

Derrick, Kimberly and Aiden Morris said...

The hat is gorgeous, I would love to have one but I'm not sure I could pull it off hehe.

Lydia said...

Kim, You would look adorable in that hat!

buddydon said...

luv the hat! sorry to here the lil guy is ailin n hope he gits better soon as he kin.

everbidy has bin sick of late, witch thats why we aint bin able to skedule nuthin.

all the best to ye n to Messrs T n S ...

Lydia said...

Thanks Buddydon! We hope your clan gets to feeling better soon too. Can't wait to get together and see everyone.

The Michaels said...

LOVE THE HAT!!!!!! I will have to try that sleepytime trick. We have been having bedtime fights lately. Syd wakes up from dreams about a bug in her room or about someone singing a lullaby and she refuses to go back to sleep.

PS - Husband tossing something into the laundry?? Bob is no such domestic dynamo.

Lydia said...

Ki--I was wondering at what age nightmares started. It must be harder to trick them back to sleep when they're older and have tricks of their own.

I'm a lucky wife when it comes to housekeeping. T, when he's home, takes on the laundry, trash and dog walking. He also picks up around the house.

Rebecca said...

gorgeous, and this color is fabulous on you. one of my bloggy friends is having problems making this. can i have her contact you to ask for your help with whatever problem she's experiencing with hers? this is her blog: http://dogyarnknit.blogspot.com/2009/01/knitting-is-supposed-to-be-relaxing.html

Lydia said...

Rebecca--Please have her contact me. I'm making my second one now and have it down pat. Squidlyd@gmail.com

Rebecca said...

thanks Lydia, i'll do that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...