Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Haircut

About two weeks or so ago, I was walking down 13th Street heading toward the Fogelman Library on 5th Avenue to get some writing done on my lunch hour when I was stopped in front of a fancy salon and asked to be a hair model. The lady who stopped me needed someone for that night for a workshop with some other salon employees. Since I had to pick up Mr. S from daycare that night, this was not an option. So I politely declined, but the lady took my name and we exchanged numbers and she asked me to call her in the coming days to set up another workshop. The next week I was a hair model for Cristiano Cora Salons, and the lady who stopped me in the street spent three hours cutting my hair to perfection. As she cut my hair she explained that all the hairdressers at this particular salon are graduates of Vidal Sassoon, the Harvard of hair schools. Let me just say this salon looked like the MOMA inside. Everything was white and modern, clean and gorgeous.

The thing about being a hair model is that you have no say over what the hairdresser does to your hair. I liked the surprise of this and told her to have her way with me. She came up with a bold, mod cut with assymetrical bangs that start in the part of my hair and taper down to the corner of my eye. She used only one pair of scissors and a comb and a tiny amount of hair putty. No razor, no round brushes, no hairspray, no fancy texturizing sheers.




Technically this is the best haircut I've ever had, though I'm not sure it's me. I did, however, have tons of fun being waited on and pampered at a beautiful salon with great views of the city.

12 comments:

Scott Garson said...

i guess you can't make this into a story and call it 'Haircut,' huh.

Derrick, Kimberly and Aiden Morris said...

Lydia, you are so gorgeous you can pull any haircut off.

Rebecca said...

such a cool experience. it looks very vidal. and you look lovely as always!

Lydia Gwyn said...

It was very cool...and I kept thinking only in New York.

Kim--you are too sweet.

Scott--you, my mom and I are probably the only people who get that joke.

Anonymous said...

Lydia, I did notice the great cut in a couple of the Christmas photos...it is fabulous, and you as always look gorgeous! Would love to have that experience myself.....Love, Gina

Rickety Rosie said...

You DO look like a model - it's a very chic, sophisticated look. I like it!

Lydia Gwyn said...

Gina, you would love it. I wonder if salons in TN do this. I'm sure they do.

Lydia Gwyn said...

Thanks Richda! I got two letters from you. Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia, and greetings from TN. I think the cut is lovely and accents your stunning Hepburnesque beauty. You're greatly missed in TN, but you are rapidly evolving into a true New Yorker - 3-hr haircuts and all! lol You go, girl!

Esther Roberts (I'm one of your mom's galpals at DOE, and a great fan of your literary talents!)

Lydia Gwyn said...

Thanks Esther! We're definitely becoming New Yorkers. I yelled at a lady in Times Square yesterday when she ran a red light and almost hit my entire family.

Kitty said...

I love it!! You are super cute! I looked at the salon, amazing. I love the openness. It would be utterly intimidating to me, though. There was no lady popping gum and smoking outside while complaining about her kids on her cellphone. And I doubt you could find a single issue of Hair of the Hunter's Wife (Camo Cuts Weekly) anywhere in there.

Lydia said...

I was intimidated at first too, but everyone who worked there was dressed in jeans, covered in tattoos and really friendly and chatty.

I do so miss Tennessee salons. New Jersey has a similar breed I'm sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...