Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

This has been a crazy week, and I’ve been keeping a mental list of the items I want to blog about if I ever have the time. Doesn’t look as though I’ll have the time any day soon. So, today I present a list of interesting events from the past couple of weeks, the items of which I will probably never have time to write about in detail:

I wanted to write about an audio-piece I heard on This American Life in which Studs Terkle interviews survivors of the Great Depression, and how I listened to the interviews at work and had to bite my lip to keep from crying while hearing stories of pregnant women hitch-hiking with husbands, sleeping in barns and beating rugs in exchange for milk. And how afterward I hopped on the elevator with the typical rude, rich kids that attend the New School and listened to them go on and on about parties and sample sales. These kids carry handbags that cost more than the combined total of all three cars I sold to move up here. And they all smell like Doritos and expensive leather. Anyway, I probably would have written about how appropriate it is to read and think about the Great Depression right now, and about the weird juxtaposition of listening to an hour of poverty stories and then immediately jumping back into the world of the super-wealthy students at my workplace.

I wanted to write about the poor elevator etiquette at the New School, mostly that of the students, rarely that of the professors.

I wanted to tell you that one of my bosses is a former member of Men Without Hats. Yep, The Safety Dance.

Also, Thomas has been working himself into oblivion, and I have become essentially a single parent. But only for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, we’ll get to see each other again for Thanksgiving.

Also, Seamus received a horrible haircut for which I paid $15! I should have known better when the hairdresser said, he’s a boy, so you want a buzz cut right? I declined the buzz cut, but it probably would have looked better than what he ended up with.

Also, Seamus has his first best friend at school. His name is Tyler, but Seamus calls him Ty Ty and talks about him endlessly. When I pick him up from school, Seamus always hugs Tyler goodbye and says, bye-bye Ty Ty.

I wanted to write about writing and how I’m doing a lot of it. Eight of my stories found homes this month.

Still no hope for a job in January. Although I have applied for a few adjunct and faculty teaching positions at various schools around the city.

There’s a crazy man on my evening commuter train. We always end up in the same car. We get off on the same stop, and we walk the same path through Bayonne. He seems nervous and intense. Every time the train stops for any length of time, or the engineer lingers at a stop too long, this man will stand up from his seat and glare at the conductor until we start moving again.

There are roses and popcorn at Hoboken Terminal. Every time I climb the stairs from the PATH Station into the terminal I’m hit with those two smells one right after the other, and it’s the most amazing thing. Someday when I have money, I’m going to buy a sampling of both.

My parents are here for Thanksgiving. They’ll be staying with us for about four days. I’m writing this on my lunch hour and will get to see them for the first time since August in about four hours. I can’t wait to catch up. I’ll post pictures.

Happy T-Day everyone. Now go listen to Iron Maiden’s Run to the Hills.

3 comments:

Kitten DeClaude said...

Men Without Hats!! That was the first cassette I ever owned. It was an odd offwhite plastic cassette and the sticker on it looked typed rather than printed at all. It was great. I used to go around saying "You can (fill in the blank here) if you wann-to, you can leave your friends behind. Cuz your friends dont (insert previous verb)..." well you get the picture. It was great. I was just a little kid but Ideas for Walls blew my mind. Safety Dance...That song was going through my head earlier!!!
Sorry the rich kids suck.

Lydia Gwyn said...

My boss left the band before the Safety Dance. That was a great song though.
Not all of the rich kids suck, just the majority of them. And not everyone at the New School is rich, though the majority are. I've actually met some really cool students there.

Thomas said...

I got 14 hours of sleep, played with my boy, ate tons of food, spoke to my mom, and spent time with family. All the while still working on shool stuff, but it was still the best day I've had in 3-4 months.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...