Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Bit of News

T wore his adult belt to class today, along with his adult shoes and his adult suit. Most days he wears an old cracked and faded, black leather belt with pyramid studs, a left-over from his days as a delinquent. Today the toy design students are going to Madame Alexander. I’m so jealous. I can remember playing with Madame Alexander-esque dolls at my Nana’s house when I was a girl. I don’t know if these were dolls that belonged to my Nana when she was a child or my mother and her sister. The one I remember most clearly had black hair and chocolate eyes and wore dark red velvet dress. She had a wire stand that clamped around her waist, so it looked as though she were standing all on her own on top of the dresser in the spare bedroom. I loved playing with this doll because her eyes opened and closed, and she had stiff black lashes and rosy cheeks, the picture of pretty to me as a child. I’ve never read Little Women (I know, I know), but she always reminded me of what I thought the girls in that book would look like.

Mr. S is hip to the day care situation now. When I dropped him off this morning, he started to run off and play with the toys and the other kids, took a few steps away from me and then ran back and clung to my leg. When I handed him to his teacher he started balling and reaching for me. T told me to say good-bye and not look back. We must make this as quick as band-aid removal, he said on the way home. I could hear my little man crying all the way down the hallway, past the receptionist’s desk and down the stairs. When we called the day care about 45 minutes later to check-up, Mr. S was sitting calming at the snack table enjoying his cookies. I think I will still pick him up a few minutes early today. The house is so quiet and clean without him. This is what he looked like this morning before leaving for school posing with my 9 to 5 dvd (he loves looking at this dvd case, but doesn’t care for the actual movie):





This morning I called the director of the Digital Reserves Library at Parsons the New School for Design and accepted his job offer. My official title is Digital Reserves Assistant. I start October 14, a Tuesday. This gives my supervisor time to set up my desk and phone and gives me time to complete the mountain of paperwork for HR. Monday I travel into the city to stop by the school and turn everything in, set up direct deposit and all that. I’m excited and dreading this at the same time. I’m looking forward to my commute to and from the city. I love riding trains. Maybe I’ll have time to write or knit on my commute, since that would be about the only time for such luxuries in my schedule. I LOVE the area of Manhattan in which Parsons is located. It’s a beautiful, current part of the city with lots of trendy boutiques and interesting stores. Union Square Park is just around the corner. I’m also looking forward to the experience that will be digital reserves. At one point or another, I’ve worked in nearly every library department except for this one (except for Tech Services), and my resume could use some technological updating. The few things I’m not excited about are: The hours suck, the pay isn‘t that great and the position is temporary (which means it‘ll either lead to bigger and better things or I‘ll be back at square one in January). However, the hours would suck with any full-time job simply because of my commute. I would be working from 9-5, but because of my commute I would actually be away from home from 7:30 in the morning until 6:00 or 6:30 at night; this leaves precious little time to spend with my family. Seamus’s bedtime is 7:30. I will somehow have to fit dinner and a bath into that small window of time between arriving home and putting him to bed. I’ll have to be up around 5:30 or 6:00 every weekday morning just to get myself ready, make Seamus’s breakfast, get him dressed and gather his things for school. I will truly be living for the weekends. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to remind myself that this way of life will all be over in less than two years, and then hopefully we’ll be in a situation where T has a great toy-design job, and I’ll be able to stay home with Seamus and work on my writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I think my exact words were, "Its like ripping off a hang nail." Way more painful than a band-aid and not as soon forgotten.

T.

Lydia Gwyn said...

Yep, that was it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...