Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Playlists

Yesterday was not such a nice day. I will not go into details. Let’s just say it’s a struggle to live up here. It’s expensive, it takes forever to travel from place to place, the convenience of automobiles and urban sprawl (as much as I used to complain about those things in the past) is not an option up here, at least for us. I was hoping I’d wake up feeling better about things, but not so. Sometimes you just want to wallow in your own misery, even though you realize how foolish it is to complain about little inconveniences when there are people with real problems. This morning on the train I set my iPod to shuffle and skipped over all the happy songs. I really just wanted to listen to the Smiths and feel sorry for myself. No one can make you feel worse than Morrissey. But it seemed like I was skipping over three-quarters of my playlists just to find Heaven knows I’m Miserable Now or Every Day is Like Sunday. Once I made it to the PATH train, I had no free hands to scroll through menus on my iPod. (On the PATH you have to hold on for dear life.) I simply had no choice but to listen to whatever came up. I decided this would be a good way to begin my day, let the playlist set the tone for the morning and maybe shake me from my mood. Wouldn’t you know it, songs from my guilty pleasure playlist (not even T knows all the embarrassing songs contained here) were the only ones on deck. I rode the PATH and listened to ABBA and Hall and Oates. And all day long I've had Mamma Mia in my head, which makes it kind of hard to be pitiful.

Yesterday, in the midst of my crap-storm of a day, I received a Special Delivery from Kitty Craftitude. Oh, how I miss this woman! She must’ve known I’d been craving Blueberry herbal tea, hot chocolate, cookies and candy. She sent the best goodie box, full of Halloween funness! Seamus got a coloring book and a Peanuts Great Pumpkin book out of it, which he loves. But mostly it was full of fun girly stuff just for me.

Thanks Miss Kitty!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

i've been listening to the smiths now for 2 or 3 weeks in the car---over and over. doesn't make me sad though cause the music is so peppy. i'm surprised that ian hasn't turned it off though. he's mostly chauffeured me around, which is heavenly.

Gail said...

Hi Lydia,

I've enjoyed keeping up with your move, job search, darling pictures of Seamus, etc. No matter where you live, life is usually hard with a small child, 2 working parents, child care situations, etc. Just keep your spirits up whichever way you can and enjoy your time "up there"!! We think about you often "down here"!

I went to Rebecca's baby shower yesterday - she got some really cute things. Also, I just love the pictures of Seamus in the little knitted hat - really cute!

Have a great day, Gail at JCPL

Rickety Rosie said...

Don't you wish you had a "fast forward" for days like that?
I certainly hope the rest of the week is better.

Lydia Gwyn said...

Rebecca--That's the beauty of the Smiths, the peppy music and the sad lyrics. I love them. Enjoy being chauffered!

Gail--Thanks for the words of encouragement. It was so nice to hear from you. I miss my JCPL peeps!

Rickety Rosie--Today was better. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Love to all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...