Monday, October 27, 2008

Flashathon

As per Rickey Rosie's request...

Last week a writer friend of mine, looking to start an online writing group, asked me to join Zoetrope. I'd wanted to join Zoetrope long ago, but there are lots of great writers, publishers and editors there, and I was always a bit intimidated. After some nudging by my friend, I created an account and officially joined, and then she persuaded me to participate in Ellen Parker's Flashathon. I don't know what I was thinking taking on a writing marathon during my first full week on a new job, but I was committed to completing it. This flashathon is famous and only happens once or twice a year. Basically, it involves writing and posting to Zoetrope a flash fiction story every 24hours for six days. Flash fiction, according to Zoetrope, should be between 100 and 1000 words and must be a fully realized, complete story in that small amount of space. Flash is my favorite thing to write, and what I mostly publish. So I was excited and up for the challenge. The catch with Zoetrope, however...in order to post a story for review, you must first read and review five other writer's stories, and you must do this for each story you post. The reading and reviewing probably took me longer than actually writing the stories, but at week's end I'd reviewed a ton of stories and received invaluable feedback on my stories from some very tallented writers. I wrote and posted a story each day of the flashathon and read and reviewed and read and reviewed lots of other writer's stories, most of which were gorgeous. In the end, I came up with some not-too-shabby stories, received lots of ideas for revision and got two publications out of it. Even though it meant staying up late and getting less sleep, it was totally worth it and so much fun.

3 comments:

Mazie Louise Montgomery said...

Lyd-

Do you like New York so far?

Rickety Rosie said...

Next question - how do we find your stories? Bill has been driving himself crazy clicking on all the links in your blog and getting nowhere.

Lydia Gwyn said...

Mazie, If we had money, I'd love NYC, but we're broke...and so it's a struggle. New Jersey kind of sucks.

Rosie, There are links to some of my older stories posted on the blog under "Some of Lydia's Published Work." I'll try to keep this updated. My new publications haven't come out yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...