Friday, August 22, 2008

So far my best friend in Bayonne is Bob from Bayonne Furniture and Go-Cart. Every time I walk down Broadway (which is daily), I see Bob sitting outside his store front on one of the solid wood dining room chairs he has on sale. He always remembers me and T, and he always stops us to ask how our bookcase is holding up and how we’re liking Bayonne so far. For the most part, people here are very friendly. They seem to really care about their community. They pick up their litter, hold doors open for each other, stop to let their dogs sniff each other. I have to keep reminding myself of this fact whenever I start to feel like I’m living on another planet, which is increasingly the predominating feeling. T and I have each had our various melt-downs. We feel very much like we’re living in the Twilight Zone.

If the NYC metro area were the state of Tennessee, Bayonne, NJ would be some little Carter County town. Lots of charm, but no wi-fi, no Target, no exceptional public library. I’ve been looking for internet access a couple of times and have found nothing. The Bayonne library doesn’t have wi-fi. Even the Networking Computer CafĂ© doesn’t have free wi-fi. They charge $5 an hour to use one of their computers. Lucky for us, after a mix-up with Verizon and UPS, our broadband is arriving today! I’m hoping to find good news in my inbox. And lots of high-paying, insurance-providing jobs in the Hoboken or Weehawken area.

Monday I’m registering Seamus for day care. He will be attending the Prodigy Learning Center. Their wait-list is about three weeks, as soon as a couple of the toddlers are potty-trained and can move up to the next class, Seamus is in. Of all the child care centers we looked at and spoke with, Prodigy is the best. Their director seems to LOVE his job and the children there seem so happy. The teacher student ratio is great and the facilities are nice. Best of all, Seamus loves it there. When we went on our tour he was able to play with the other toddlers. Immediately, he was surrounded by a group of girls who took turns petting his hair and holding his hand. He loved this of course. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time we were there. All the children loved seeing new visitors. At one point, I was rolling a ball back and forth to four other toddlers, and Seamus was sitting in my lap staking his claim over Mama. We had a great time, and Seamus didn’t want to leave. It was clear to me then, that day care was not going to be this depressing, guilt-ridden thing in our lives. I’m sure I’ll still feel like staying home with my boy, but knowing that he’s laughing, learning, making friends and having fun makes me feel so much better about working full-time. Their director reminded me that being in day care would be like being in the miniature world for Seamus. He won’t be the center of the universe any more, and he’ll have to take other children’s feelings into account and learn to interact with them. This is something that’s definitely been missing from his life. The director also said that his day care center wasn’t a parking space for children and that it was his job to ensure that Seamus is a great 15 year old, not just a great toddler. I thought this was a nice way of looking at things.

The Shop Rite Rider:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...