Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bayonne has a community television channel. T and I call it the Prom Channel because since we’ve been here the only thing we’ve seen broadcast is interviews with Bayonne High School prom-goers. I can only surmise these were interviews taken last May or whenever prom season is around here. The interviewer is a student himself, and he catches the kids in all their finery as they’re walking into the prom. I’m addicted to this channel, could watch it all day. Most of the interviews involve “shout-outs” to favorite teachers, and then the students talk about their after high school plans. Most of the boys are going to Lincoln Tech to become mechanics, but a lot of students are going to Rutgers as well. Sometimes the students are too embarrassed to speak on camera and all they can do is look at their dates and laugh. I keep wondering how many of these couples are still dating.

T’s first day of class was a cake walk. That’s because he had anatomy for toy designers which is pretty much just like a basic figure drawing class. T was very lucky to have a drill instructor drawing teacher at ETSU, and so figure drawing is his forte. Today, however, he’s not so lucky. He has three classes pretty much back to back. He left on the light rail at 7:30 this morning and won’t be home until 9:30 tonight. Seamus and I will be by ourselves today. So I’m making him a fancy lentil/split pea lunch with a baked sweet potato on the side. Then we’re walking down to the bigger park in our neighborhood. I’ve yet to find it; so it should be an adventure.

Gave my CV to my landlord. He’s taking it to the English Department of the University of Phoenix tomorrow. Since classes have already begun, I doubt I’ll have a job with them (if at all) until Spring or Fall of next year. I’m kind of excited. I really miss teaching composition. I don’t care what college or school, students are students.

Tomorrow we should have wireless, and I can begin my job search in earnest with my new local address on my CV. On Thursday, I’m headed down to the two Bayonne temp agencies. Seamus is wait-listed at the Prodigy Learning Center. Their director said October 1st would most likely be his start date. However, he did tell me to call him if I find a job before then, and he would see what he could do. I hope I find something before then. It’s very scary to see our money going out and nothing coming back in. In all of my working life (since I was 16), I’ve only been jobless for two weeks. That was after my bachelor’s degree. I don’t quite know what to do with myself. Sounds like a good time to start working on a novel.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...