Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Jiggidy Jig

I've been back at work for a little over two weeks now. It's not been as traumatizing as I imagined. In fact, it's been nice being around adults and books again. I've missed Danielle Steel's face. Three new books of fiction came in for me while I was away and they're all fabulous; so I've been reading them simultaneously. I read while Seamus eats. This means I read a lot. No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July takes the cake. She writes things I didn't think were possible. Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin is also amazing. I've been dreaming in his sentences. And Twenty Grand by Rebecca Curtis is gorgeous. I wish I could write as effortlessly as she seems to. You can't go wrong with any of these books. Do read them. Please do. They are tremendous.

Seamus is growing by leaps and bounds. He's 16 pounds now and 27 inches long. He's been rolling over from front to back and laughing and smiling and trying to make words. He's been saying ma-ma a lot. I know that this is just a sound coming out of his mouth and it probably means nothing to him, but it's nice to imagine he's saying my name. Thomas and I have become Mama and Papa instead of Honey and Dear. So when Seamus says anything resembling mama I try to accommodate. We're working on getting him to sleep through the night. We'd love it if he would slumber from midnight until six a.m. I get up for work at six and it would be nice to have six solid hours of sleep a night, but Seamus is still hanging on to his four a.m. feeding. The past couple of weeks we've been giving him a pacifier instead of the breast and sometimes he falls for it and goes right back to sleep, but mostly he cries until Thomas rocks him back to sleep which can take up to an hour. This method was going well and he was almost making it until six a.m. and then he started teething and now his sleep pattern is all over the place. I think his gums hurt more at night. If anyone has any tips on how to get a baby to sleep through the night we'd appreciate them. He's gotten too big for swaddling; so that's out of the question.

I've been writing in the mornings before work since I don't really get a chance to do so any other time of the day. I've started all kinds of new stories that look like they're growing into one big story. We'll see what happens. This kind of writing is nice since I'd taken a break from all of my interests when Seamus was born. Caring for a newborn is full time work even with two people doing it. I don't see how single parents survive.

Life has been busy. The library where I work has just finished its Summer Reading Program and we also have a new catalog interface and computer system. So most days I don't have time to miss Seamus too much. It's just hard to leave the house in the morning. I LOVE my days off.

1 comment:

Mazie Louise Montgomery said...

Bed is also good, Lyd.

Seamus is so handsome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...